Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Reconstruction of the Family Breen

Yes, it’s been a week of unpacking and trying to put the Breen smell into the new digs. Nothing smells (er says) home like your own furniture, disassembled in a thousand little pieces to be sure and scattered thru many mislabeled boxes. The casualty count was small and so I am thankful for that. We had a visitor the very first day of unloading! Bio Custom Controls was keen to send a Representative to “help” us unpack a certain quantity of boxes set aside from the dock. I am terrified that he may come across the half empty jar of Apple Jelly that was packed by my favorite packer back home –Peter. A word of caution for those who hire out the task; these are not Rocket Scientists who come and wrap your gear. Peter was um, an old stoner, smelling of stale beer who I got into a fight with because I came home one day to find my dishwasher cutlery caddy missing and presumably in one of 30 kitchen boxes. I asked him to unpack said boxes and look for the damn thing since I had no need of it here. Ah, the moaning and bitching that went along with it. He made it thru 6 boxes before he came back and stoutly refused to go on any further. Packing is an art and the “artist” was getting belligerent with me about me ruining his creative process. Fine, I rolled my eyes and said a few choice words about this and left again lest I start to choke him. Bad move as he then proceeded to pack *everything * on the “no go” list to NZ. Bastard! I didn’t find this out until I came home the final day to see the storage can sealed and did a walkthrough our house. This is the weird part as he decided that contraband spices should be in that container but not our Wii, PS2, rollerblades, bowls, Bed skirt and BBQ Rotisserie. We packed those things in our suitcases and wondered what the chances were for being searched after the discovery of a large metal spear hidden in the kids clothes. So to recap; an opened jar of Apple Jelly made it into the C-can and various spices, crackers and noodles but my bowls and bedding did not, huh.

Ok so back to the unpack and that. I was absolutely sure that we were going to get nailed with the food discovery from Bio Security. I was at the house first thing while the movers were unpacking the truck and just as swiftly I was pouring out contents of all boxes labeled “Kitchen”. About 10 minutes before our guest arrived I had bingo-ed the jelly (and lets just say Ew at the thought of this jar sitting in the heat for 8 weeks ok?) My anger with Peter the Packer actually turned into love as I have discovered here that many of my Spices are not available here in NZ. For a country that prides itself on the BBQ life I have not been able to procure any Steak Spice –Montreal or otherwise. I swear it was like a Martha Christmas for me to unwrap all matters of meat rubs and sprinkles to decorate the cookies I one day imagine I will have time to bake. Peter also threw in a half empty bag of Twizzlers (Yeah! Another missing link here) and a bottle of my “special” coffee cream of the Irish variety. Peter is now reaching god like status in my mind. So I was in a pretty happy frame of mind when I met the Bio Security guy in the garage and started opening selected boxes. I mean what could happen now? Um, well Jenn, they could make you take out every Christmas decoration that you own (and for those of you who have seen my collection and love of all things Xmas you will know I come to this country with at least a dozen large bins of Jolliness). Uhg! Why are you touching my stuff? What are you looking for, cocaine, pot, or maybe a meth lab? No. Pine cones, he is searching for pine cones. What North American Christmas wreath, garland, or topiary doesn’t come with pine cones? Alrightee then, there I am with wire cutters removing all my pine cones. There were too many for the bag he brought with him so I grudgingly gave him another one and filled that too with my pine cones and funny twiggy stuff that was on some of my decorations. My giant Father Christmas is now standing empty handed as we have ripped out the staff and wreath from his hands. Boo! Was at one point thinking of offering our “guest” a snack of English Muffin and Apple Jelly. What??? It was just a thought.

The house bits are slowly coming together. We have carved out a small area in the living room to relax in. The downstairs has not been unpack as Chris has taken out all the carpeting down there and is planning on putting in new flooring at some point. After he builds a new wall and entertainment unit down there. (of course!) Sure! It seems rather daunting to be taking on home reno projects in the midst of moving countries but hey, that’s how he rolls. I have my spices and Irish Cream and Timmy all is well.

4 comments:

  1. Love the new web site! Chris NO home Reno's remmeber on a budget..Go golfing to keep yourself busy since you are not in the cold snow..That man will have the whole place ripped out by the time you have to leave and come back..LOL
    Loved the story and sorry about your pine cones I love the smelly ones that I buy for the house every year. Question does this mean I cannot send you spices and Tim's coffee at christmas or will they let you send spices in the mail. Just give me your grocery list and I'll send it down if I am allowed let me know.

    Love you guys and miss you lots christmas is going to be very sad since we will be in Edmonton for Christmas this year and you are not..

    Love Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap! i sooo want to be with you at Christmas :( It's not going to be the same at ALL!!! You can send anything by mail just tell them at Can. Post it's socks and books and you won't have to pay any insurance on it. Cooked or prepackaged goods that come from the store are fine to send. Don't send any homebaked goods LOL on sooo many levels that would be bad. That's all i really know about that. Funny how i could maybe get a jar of cherry jam (hint hint) from Canada and not actually transport it here myself on the sea can isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new blog! Ain't moving to a new country grand! When we moved to Canada, our movers packed everything & then loaded it on the Uhaul Dewey had to drive North all alone. I contemplated planting random contraband items in the truck so he would have to deal with them. I was safe and sound in St.Louis on a business trip.

    I think he might have killed me so I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur - love the new blog! Is now saved to my bookmarks as to not miss a beat of the kiwi experience. I feel your pain with the likes of overseas shipping rules. I had to drink the entirety of my wine collection (twice can-uk, uk-us)... it was a real headache to say the least :-)

    I will keep you posted on the state of my visa. Once I am no longer trapped here I will book a flight and pack my case with as much coffee as it will hold!

    Hugs and Kisses...Nic

    ReplyDelete